Friday, July 19, 2013

Is French Toast Really from France?

My question is...
Why do  the french claim everything good in life?
Fries.
Toast.
Kissing.

I mean...do the French even eat fries?
Some part of me believes they are too sophisticated for that.

Anyways.
This morning's menu called for French Toast.

Why is this the perfect meal before my run, you ask?
Because its carbs (bread) plus protein (eggs).

Instead of having plain ole toast and eggs,
you combine the two to make the magic. 

Just a little fun history about this French cuisine...
It's real name is "lost toast"

Medieval french cooks had to be creative with what they had...
aka: stale toast and eggs and water.
Cooks used the eggs & water to moisten the stale bread.
Sounds good, right?

Of course when this dish entered our borders,
Americans said "Heck with the water!! We'll moisten our toast with milk, sugar & a slab of butter!"

So there's that.
Now on to my version.


Recipe: French Toast
Makes 1 serving

2 egg whites
2 slices Ezekial Bread (I use cinnamon raisin & i HIGHLY recommend it)
1/2 teaspoon of extract (I use almond. Vanilla is also great)
1/8 cup almond milk (regular can be used if necessary)
cinnamon 
oil spray 
Fruit to top


Let's begin.



Get a small bowl and combined the egg whites & milk
Whisk away.
Add in the extract as well. 




Pour half of the egg/milky mixture on a plate.
Let both sides of the 1st piece of toast soak for 30 sec. in it.
Repeat.
I use paper plates.

(Sometimes I feel like I am stating the obvious?
It's like, there is a picture Kelly, they can see it.)



Take note: 
I have NO idea why my pan has turned blackish brown over the course of this year. (picture below)
It may be time for a new one?

Anyways, spray your pan and let both pieces grill.
About 1-2 minutes on each side.

Feel free to add cinnamon to both sides if you enjoy cinnamon as much as I do.



Cut up the fruit
(again, it's just too obvious)



And enjoy!


Also feel free to defy the original Medieval version 
and eat this with peanut butter (or almond butter).

Fun fact: there really is not many breakfast foods I won't eat with this stuff 

No comments:

Post a Comment