Sunday, July 14, 2013

My Better Halves

If there was a reason to blog it would definitely be this.
What an incredibly fun weekend!
And I am NOT biased when I say...
I have some of the best friends in the world. 
Through high school and college, together and apart, I've kept some pretty amazing friendships.

It's funny.
It doesn't matter the 8 or more months that college separates us,
We always get back together and everything is the same.  

We could be on a grand city adventure, driving around or sitting in my room doing nothing,
yet we we're always content and probably crying of laughter at some point.

There really is nothing like getting back together.

THURSDAY
The weekend began on Thursday when Brooke and I drove from Dallas to Austin together.
And thank the Lord I-35 never disappoints me;
Always traffic.
After a super long & childish game of I-SPY, 
the roads cleared and we hit home base. 

That night, 
we thought "Why not?!" 
and I took Brooke downtown for her first 6th Street experience. 

To NO surprise, 
we traveled all 19 blocks to the crowded, crazy street of 6th only to talk & laugh with each other. 





FRIDAY
The next day
 Tara and Caroline arrived!
I gave them little time to settle into Austin before forcing them out the door to go paddle boarding.

So we get to Barton Springs...
Of course none but Tara even think to bring screen screen for the 101 degree weather.
Granted, it was only SPF 6.
Good enough.

Wanna know what is extremely difficult?
Taking a group picture on stand up paddle boards. 
The picture below was the only one we could manage.

Take note, only Caroline and I could make it in the picture.
The wind, current and Loch Ness monster of seaweed made it quite a challenge.



As always, paddle boarding was SO fun.

Sometimes (every time) I like to pretend I am Pocahontas paddling down the river bend. 
Sometimes (every time) I sing "Just Around the River Bend" to myself.

After a snow cone, fruit popsicle and a ton of water jugging later, we left Barton Springs.
I took them to my FAVORITE all-natural juice place, JuiceLand. 
I got something new, Vegetable Kingdom.
Sounds like a good juice, right?
Well it was.

And either Tara and Brooke were lying to appease me or they were serious,
But they said they really loved it too!

When we got back to the apartment,
I introduced them to my favorite new pastime...
watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S

But seriously?
How did I think I was experiencing a fulfilling life before watching this show?
Who decided to not tell me about this show till this year?
IDK. 

All I know is that I have 9 more seasons to catch up on before school starts.
(an episode is currently playing as I write this)

That night I wanted to take them to the BEST barbecue I've had since eating meat again.
Saltlick <3
Literally so good.

HOWEVER....

Good thing I waited till the LAST possible day to order my football tickets for the year,
so we were delayed about an hour while I tried to figure out how to buy them.
Minor tears were involved in the process.

I am #blessed for my VERY chill friends.
We were suppose to leave the apartment at 8 for dinner
We left (very hungry) around 9

Dear University of Texas,
YOUR SYSTEM TO BUY FOOTBALL SEASON TICKETS IS CONFUSING AND STUPID.
Sincerely, Kelly.

Excuse that rant^.
Anyway here is a picture.
We met up with Maggie and Nicole.

Yes, we did dress up and wear wedges to go to a very casual BBQ place.
Yes people stared in confusion.
Sorry, it was necessary for a good picture.



SATURDAY.
Such a great day.

I made it my mission to show them some good, stereotypical Austin murals.
And by golly we saw them.



We walked along South Congress street before lunch.
I took them to one of my favorite stores, Lucy in Disguise.
It is actually the world's best costume store.
Literally, ANY COSTUME you want,
they have.

You want to be an elephant?
Austin Powers?
Elmo?
Jesus Christ?
a bottle of toothpaste?
They've got your back.

Naturally Caroline had to buy this $40 shirt.
Worth every penny, I say.



We also took a quick trip to the planet Kamino to visit some old friends


oh and did I forget to mention I found my long lost twin, Miley?



After coming back to reality...
We went to a great mexican restaurant on S. Congress to meet Tara's best friend from college, Ana. 
She is an actual gem.
So sweet and genuine, just like Tara herself. 
And she has/pulls off a lip ring.
WHO CAN DO THAT?
She can.

One of my favorite things about college is when friends meet friends.
There is nothing like your high school and college friends getting along.
Worlds colliding.
Small worlds.
I love it.

After lunch,
Brooke casually decided she wanted to get her nose pierced again.
Leave it to Brooke to be completely impulsive.

But we supported her decision none the less.
You only live once, right?
You're only young once, correct?
It doesn't hurt too bad, RIGHT?!?!
So why not. 

An hour later, her nose was re-pierced and the world kept spinning. 
However, it may stop once she calls her mom to tell her the news.
Stay tuned for further updates on the situation.

That night we went to meet Nicole at Abel's on the Lake.
I introduced my friends to Texas Teas.
What an amazingly overpriced creation they are.
But very delicious.

Best surprise of the night:
our good friend from high school, Maddison McKinley, joined us for dinner.
Now here is THE MOST authentic, joyful girl you could meet.
Not an exaggeration.

She made me laugh for two years straight in our High School hell of a Spanish class,
and continues to make me smile to this day every time I see her.
It was such a great surprise to see her that night.



We ended the night by simply hanging out back at the apartment.
Like I said before, we could have done anything that night and been happy.

That's when you know you've found THE friends.
When you don't have to entertain them with fireworks, 
a circus,
 and Vegas show every night to have fun.

No pressure.
Just company.

SUNDAY

So, you would think after a long weekend of hosting friends that part of me would want them gone?
I mean, heck, hosting friends is a hard business to run.

But this wasn't the case.

If it wasn't for rush meetings and school, I'd keep them around all week.
I don't like thinking that the next time we will all be together is Thanksgiving :(

But that is life.
That is college.
And I'm just thankful for the sweet memories of the weekend.


I love you guys & thanks for the visit :)













No comments:

Post a Comment